Thursday, March 26, 2009

Caligula would have blushed...



It's no secret that I'm absolutely obsessed with Roman history and mythology. It all started when I took Latin in high school and my hilarious teacher oft told stories of the tyrant Caligula, so named for tramping around in military sandals (caligulae) when he was little - meaning his nickname was "Little Boots."


Authentic caligulae.


Don't they look familiar?

Philomena Sandal, $25, Target


I guess I'll have to try them on to see if I look good in Roman military apparel. If they don't work, I guess I could settle for this spring's Miu Miu collection.

The mosaic prints are TO DIE FOR.


Prada, Spring '09


This one reminds me of some the frescoes found at Pompeii.




Dionysiac Mystery Cult, Villa of the Mysteries, 50 BC - wall painting frieze, Pompeii

Speaking of cults and rituals, Miuccia melted my heart even more when the campaign was shot in a sort of temple.

No comments: