Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Bellissima!

Today, in order to be a consistent procrastinator and avoid doing my reading for astronomy, I went into Anthropologie (woot, christmas giftcard!) and happened to find this gorgeous dress:
I'd been eyeing it for a while, and finally it was on SALE!!! It reminds me of one of my absolute favorite movies, Enchanted April.

The film seems to be quite unknown, for I haven't been able to find any movie stills or movie clips. From Wikipedia: " It tells the story of four dissimilar women in post-war England who leave their damp and rainy environs to go on a holiday to a secluded coastal villa in Italy. Two women who belong to the same ladies' club but have never spoken, become acquainted after reading an ad for villas for rent in the local paper. They find two other ladies to help share expenses. The four women come together at the Villa and find rejuvenation in the tranquil beauty of their surroundings, rediscovering hope and love." The women in the movie wear the most etheral garments, so complimentary to the environment of Italy. The costume designer was nominated for an Oscar, and upon seeing the movie, it is easy to see why.
It was adapted from a book, which is just as delightful and whimsical as the film.
Enchanted April was written in 1922 by Elizabeth Von Armin. HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED.
In keeping with the theme of the time period, think I will pair the dress with these shoes:.
I also picked up a gorgeous silk periwinkle obi belt for $7 that I plan to wear to my cousin's graduation. Now this movie is all on my brain - it makes me long to return to Italy even more. You can watch Enchanted April on TCM this sunday, March 8, at 6pm.

2 comments:

Whitney R. W. said...

God you rule. I am so sorry about brunch. I miss you terribly. Call when you come back. oh enchanted april.

kadler said...

That dress is gorgeous! Let us know what it's like when you get it ;)